Saturday, October 23, 2010

Crochet Coral Reef

This summer, I was browsing through my local yarn shop's weekly email and noticed a very cool project - a crochet coral reef! The Fiber Space had sessions throughout the summer to teach folks how to crochet pieces of coral for an exhibit at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum. I was so impressed with the skills of all the talented people making pieces for this exhibit.

Mine is just a small coral inspired by my first experience snorkeling in St. Lucia this summer:

The exhibit is now open and runs through April 11, 2011. I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I hope that my piece is visible among all the crocheted coral reef pieces. This project was a community effort - local yarn shops, schools, and the museum all worked together to create a coral reef out of yarn.

If you are in D.C. between now and April, I hope you will check it out!

No comments: